Friday, October 25, 2013

Inspired by Moxie Fab World: Mixed Media Bird Cards

One of my first paper crafting highlights was winning Moxie Fab World's Value of Vintage Challenge a few years ago. I had just started my paper crafting journey, so the win was a definite push to keep going with my hobby. I appreciate Cath's daily posts on the Moxie Fab World Blog that inspire creativity in my paper crafting. Today's post is one example of that happening. As soon as I saw this photo on the MFW, my mind started visualizing lots of ideas.
Here are my cards. The first one is clean and simple. I made my bird template by die cutting the big bird from Spellbinders Bird Sanctuary set. I then sketched the legs and branch and cut those out free hand using a craft knife. Using Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L's EZ Dots Repositionables, I adhered the negative die cut, to act as a template, to a sturdy white card stock. The corner die cut is from Spellbinders Moroccan Accents, which I accented with a Want2Scrap pearl.
MM-card-PB
I stamped Penny Black's Tweet Tweet flowers with Versafine ink inside the bird then blended watercolor inks. I traced the bird with a fine black marker. By the way, I used cheap watercolors here. They were left overs from my kids' school art supplies last year. To create balance, I added white lace and button to highlight the sentiment, which is from Penny Black's Dahlia. I mounted the finished bird onto a card base using SA by 3L foam squares.
MM-card-PBd
Here is my second card. I used the same bird template flipped over. I did the same thing as above with a few additions. I paper pieced (from Prima) a leaf from Penny Black's Foliage Fancy on the back of the bird and stamped the lace from PB Lace Delights on the branch. I decided to make this more typical mixed media and added backgrounds and other elements.
MM-card-PB.2jpg
I put watercolor straight on the image leaf from Penny Black's Foliage Fancy and stamped on the corners. The text is Penny Black's Letter Background. The cancelled stamped image is from TCM's Holiday Poinsettia. I flicked my watercolor brush with ink to create the blue splatters. Being an amateur that I am with mixed media, I messed up my paper with too much water. Solution: hide it under a pretty paper flower! :).
MM-card-PB2-d
I am not done yet with this Moxie Fab inspirational bird. I'll share more later, including a cut file that I made myself. Have a great weekend!
Photobucket
Follow me on Facebook * Pinterest * Bloglovin'

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty cards. thanks for sharing how you did it!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards! Love how you used the inspiration! The colors are so bright, and I love that it has the messy look, but is so controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, these bird cards are wonderful! I love your sense of colour! I am definitely going to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nina your work is inspirational - love the way you have created the image and then used mixed media to bring the whole card to life.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great, Nina! I love that you used an Oh My Moxie Fab! image as your inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how you did this! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely artsy cards Nina - perfect interpretations of Cath's moxie fab idea ;)
    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this technique and hope I see more of it. Hoping also that you would continue showing us how to develop this type of art. Maybe even do a tutorial so we can get a feel for putting the elements together by watching. Thanks for sharing these delightful little cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Dottie. I'm a newbie at this, but I'll try to get some kind of tutorial for you. I used to dislike mixed media because it always seemed random and messy and I like my cards straight and in order. Then I realized I could make my own version of mixed media that is clean and somewhat ordered, and not too busy. I'm still learning :).

      Delete
  9. Awesome cards! I love the second one .. Gorgeous! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails